Sunday, April 29, 2012

Overnight

If you have kids, then you know that sometimes you go to bed and your child literally changes every night.  Or you leave the house, and when you come home you could swear that your child looks older.  It's like they grew up while you were away, and you get a glimpse of what your child will look like or be like in a few years.  And then you try not to cry... emphasis on "try."

Lil's seven-month birthday was like this.  On Thursday I literally had to wrap my mind around the fact that she has been here for seven months.  I feel like I was pregnant yesterday.  I feel like we just came home from the hospital.  But mostly, I just feel like she should still be a newborn... but she's changing and growing before my very eyes.  And on her seven month birthday we made two discoveres: #1 - her first little tooth is finally popping through.  In true Lilly-fashion, she hasn't even batted an eye on this.  There was no extra snot, drool, fever, or crankiness, so I was shocked when Josh thought he felt one.  But sure enough, there is was, a little tiny nub of a tooth on the bottom right.  She doesn't let anybody look at it since the little one loves to stick out her tongue, but we did get a quick glimpse before bed last night.  I love a baby's toothless grin, but I know she's going to be thrilled that this brings her one step closer to more solid foods... that girl loves to eat!



Discovery #2 - Baby Girl is on the move!  She's been low-man scooting for awhile, and rolling her way back and forth across the living room, but on that 7-month marker, it all came together.  And what is it with babies and iPhones by the way:



I did not know that having a little girl would be so special.  I love Jacob in such big ways, and I am amazed that I can love her equally, but different.  No mother can explain it I'm sure, but the love I feel for them is so special and unique to each of them, because they are both so special and unique.  But what I love best is how much the like each other!  Jake took awhile to come around, but now he cannot get enough of his little sister, even to the point that he basically screams in her face when she's sleeping, because he wants her to wake up and play!  He's been "teaching" her how to crawl, telling her "Okay, Lilly" when she cries, putting her pacy in her mouth, bouncing her when she's in her jump-a-roo, putting his forehead right up to hers when she's on all-fours (which makes her laugh), giving her kisses, and showing an overall, genuine concern for her when she's upset.  He loves his baby "E" and that makes a mama's heart overflow.  And Lilly?  Oh my gosh, she thinks he hung the moon!  He does things to her that give me a minor heart attack and she just laughs and laughs!  Nobody can get her going like he does!  And as soon as Jake realized that he has a constant, loving audience?  Yeah, he just eats it right up!  They are two peas in a pod these days and I hope that as parents we can always continue to cultivate and grow that relationship so that they'll always have a special bond.  Nothing would make me happier.






So what's Lilly like at 7 months?


  • Has one brand-new tooth
  • Sits up on her own, but still can't get into that position by herself
  • Can successfully do a low-man's Army-type crawl
  • Wears 9-12 month clothes, but we're almost out of anything left in the 9-month range, particularly pajamas.  Dresses still work
  • Wears size FOUR diapers.  Yes, you read that correctly.  To put it into perspective, Jake wears a size five.  But that round belly is the cutest thing you've ever seen!  Plus, we took the girth of her thighs and compared it to Jake's and cousin Adam's... she has them both beat!  Those rolls are delicious (and will soon melt off now that she's getting her workout on!)
  • Mostly nurses, but takes at least one bottle a day, mostly to give me a break.  She holds her own bottle, which is so helpful!
  • Has solid food only at dinnertime, mostly because she's so content on milk and growing like a weed.  So far we've had peas, green beans, avocado, sweet potatoes, and bananas, all of which we mix with oatmeal to thicken it up.  Plus, she loves to gnaw on saltine crackers.  We've tried yogurt drops, and while she can pick them up, she still can't really figure out how to get them into her mouth.
  • She finally loves bath time and splashes around, which in turn makes Jake soak the entire bathroom.  This could get interesting over the next few months!
  • Notices and watches the TV when it's on, particularly when it's one of Jake's favorite shows
  • LOVES the iPhone, my laptop, and anything electronic.  I think this is a universal baby-thing
  • Bounces like a crazy person in her jump-a-roo (and even when she's not in it!)
  • Is attempting to pull herself up onto things, but has had no success so far.  I'm okay with that.
There's more of course, but these are just a few of the things that I want to remember.  Her personality is still just about the sweetest thing you'd ever come across.  I've had many people tell me that they've never heard her cry, and that's probably because she rarely does!  Try to change her clothes though and that all changes... my baby would rather be naked!  But in those moments, she reaches for me, and she stops immediately.  Now THAT, my friends, is what makes motherhood so special.  God knows we need those moments, and I cherish it every time it happens.




Speaking of motherhood, May is Mom's Day month and in honor of that I am going to do a series of mom-related posts.  I have a few friends who are either expecting or just had a baby, but I have several more who have all been there already.  Together we are like an arsenal of advice!  I'll post the dates on what days I'll post what and I'd love to have you join me!  Topics include hospital must-haves, top 5 baby gear items, don't waste your money baby gear items, maternity leave survival and sanity (how not to just sit around in your pajamas all day!  Haha!),  all about your diaper bag (and why you love it or what you wish it had), and just a general post about how motherhood has changed you.  If you've already posted on any of these topics, you can just link up your old post to mine so you don't have to start all over.  But if you haven't, put your thinking caps on and join in the fun... the more the merrier!  Look for posting dates early this week!  

No comments:

Post a Comment