Monday, October 26, 2009

A Blast from the Past

Who knew that my "pomping" skills from high school and college would come in handy one day?

A few weeks ago (yes, this post is out of order... hence the reason why people are wearing shorts and flip-flops in the photos) was Small Town USA's High School Homecoming. When my high school had homecoming, I do remember making floats but it was limited to just the students. Imagine my surprise when I found out that our very own Crossroads Community Church would be putting a float in the homecoming parade, too! The theme was "movies" this year, so we built an Oscar on the red carpet for the front of the float, stars from Hollywood Blvd. (with the players' names on them of course) as the background, and a big Crossroads sign and logo on the back. Although I never saw it finished, I'd say that our group of volunteers did a pretty darn good job... granted, their pomping needs some work, but we can't all be professionals. And I was also surprised to see that nobody was checking to make sure everyone did the required number of hours.... ohhhhh sorority life, how silly so much of it seems now!
Our float didn't win (which was expected) and sadly I had to work during the parade. My husband told me that it was all of four minutes long, but what can you expect in a town of 4,000 people, right? Now that I know that we can take part, I have a full year to train these folks on some REAL float making. I feel like the 2010 float might have moving parts, paper mache, and perhaps music coming from it.

Or not.
Although it was nice to be reminded of the "good ol' days," it only made me understand that I am truly in the midst of the best days I've encountered. My life has come so far since high school and college and has improved in every aspect. I have a husband who loves me, a roof over my head (and an amazing one at that!), a faith that is continuing to grow, a job that allows me to work from home, a family that I can count on, two dogs that drive me nuts but show unconditional love, and of course, the little peanut who is due to arrive in March.

But even so, when our kids grow up and think that building their homecoming float is the most important thing in the world, I'll just smile and tell them to "go have fun." Because the real treat is finding out years down the road that the best is still yet to come.



No comments:

Post a Comment