Thursday, March 15, 2012

Reflections

I am back from a week-long trip to sunny Florida (for work mostly, but I did squeeze in a little bit of fun) and trying to get back into the swing of things here.  A week away can certainly throw off the routine when you have two kids in the mix!  While I was down there, I did squeeze in a run, and although I realized that I am no longer used to the Florida heat, I was reminded why I do it.  My brain was in constant motion and I just got to think about me-stuff.  It was amazing.  And while I was thinking about me-stuff, a wonderful idea popped into my head, which I'm going to share with you today.  Are you ready?  Here goes...

In the past month I have hit a bit of a dry-spell in my daily me-time.  I had gotten to the point where I was pretty diligent about it, always reading or meditating on something "meaty," but lately I hardly even pick up a book, much less my Bible.  And I am not all that drawn to any particular scripture or chapter, so I just avoid it all together.  If I do happen to read or listen to something, it really just goes in one ear and out the other and I do not take much time to try and apply it to my life, so it just ends up being wasted time.  And in conversations with friends I realize that I am not the only one.

So here's where this little blog of mine gets put to use.  I'm teaming up with an incredible friend of mine who is also a ministry wife.  Brittany blogs over at Daughter...Wife...Mom...Sis and has such a way of taking everyday little things about life and finding purpose and meaning in it all, which I love.  After chatting with her the other day we came up with a plan to have an online self-reflection group of sorts.  Each Thursday we will choose and post something for anyone who wants to participate to read or listen to (scripture, a blog post, a song, a podcast, etc.).  Whatever we choose will be something that is accessible and free to everyone.  The idea is for whoever participates to read and really think about the message that week... and then apply it to your own life.  I am always amazed how people can draw such different things out of the same reading, sermon, etc. because of what they are going through at the time, and often times it is something that helps them get through it.  So take what we pick (although I think our husbands will be picking some things, too, to mix it up a bit) and then take the week to think and blog about it (or journal if you don't blog).  We'll be posting our own thoughts, too, and posting our blogs, along with yours, the following Thursday.  There will be the linky-button at the bottom so that you can add your blog to the list if you posted that week... add yours to mine, Brittany's, or both blogs so that others can read your insights and maybe see something from a new perspective.  I think it will be beneficial to everyone who participates, will mix keep all of us accountable, and will mix up whatever we are pouring into ourselves each week, which will hopefully avoid us getting into a rut.  Sometimes doing something different is all we need to refresh and renew our minds and to get our focus back on God.  I don't know about you, but I'm excited!

The first week's "assignment" (although I'd hate to call it that... this shouldn't be work!) was my pick and was chosen because it inspired the whole project.  Instead of something that comes out of a book, our reading this week is actually lyrics to a song.  I have heard this song a thousand times.  It's one of my husband's favorite and shuffles through on the iPod regularly.  But the other day it came on while I was running and I heard it... differently.  I don't know, it just spoke to me in a new way, which is how this online reflection time was born.  If you have not heard the song before, I have posted a link to the YouTube video as well as the lyrics.  Check back on Thursday morning to read our thoughts on it and to share your own.  I look forward to sharing with everyone!

Desert Song
(Hillsong United)

This is my prayer in the desert
And all that's within me feels dry
This is my prayer in my hunger and need
My God is the God who provides

And this is my prayer in the fire
In weakness or trial or pain
There is a faith proved
Of more worth than gold
So refine me Lord through the flames

Chorus:
And I will bring praise
I will bring praise
No weapon formed against me shall remain
I will rejoice
I will declare
God is my victory and He is here

And this is my prayer in the battle
When triumph is still on it's way
I am a conqueror and co-heir with Christ
So firm on His promise I'll stand

Bridge:
All of my life
In every season
You are still God
I have a reason to sing
I have a reason to worship

This is my prayer in the harvest
When favor and providence flow
I know I'm filled to be emptied again
The seed I've received I will sow

Listen to it here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlgUUeQh0CQ

2 comments:

  1. This is one of my favorite songs too Kim. Thanks for sharing. I was just telling a few of my closest friends that I have been stuck in the desert for quite some time. I'm excited to see how God will speak through you guys about this.
    By the way, this is the first time I have read your blog. isn't it wonderful how God works ;)
    Love you guys and miss you!!!
    Karl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karl! I am not surprised that this is your first visit here. God is always up to something. :) We love and miss you, too! Hopefully we'll make it that way sometime this summer for some good hang out time (and food of course!) with some of our favorite people!

    ReplyDelete