Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Lately...

Even with all of the craziness of our life going on right now (i.e. putting our house on the market, searching online for rentals in Kentucky, and- oh yeah- starting the process of planting a church!) we have still managed to get out in the spring weather and enjoy ourselves a bit.  The weather is either rainy and cold or absolutely gorgeous, but lately the gorgeous weather has been showing up more than the showers.  I don't mind it so much if it keeps it from being uber-hot here in Illinois.  That is something that this mama is not looking forward to!  But here's what we've been up to lately.  We have been...

Sitting around looking handsome (and far too old!)

Going for lots of bike rides and walks.  True story: Jake climbed into his own stroller today and tried to buckle himself in.  Between that move and bringing us his shoes all the time it looks like we'll be spending lots of time outside this summer!

Picking out a puppy.  Yes, you read that correctly... more on that to come

Practicing with the spoon.  Although, we find that we're much better using a fork at this point!

Spending LOTS of time in our swing in the backyard.  He pretty much makes a beeline to it as soon as he gets out the back door (which we are this close to being able to open by ourself!) 

Playing in the dirt.  I am still amazed at how boys just naturally gravitate to it.

Enjoying the scent of the blooms in our backyard.

I think that spring and summer are going to become my favorite seasons now that we have a kiddo.  I can't tell you the last time that I went for a bike ride just for fun or swung on a swing-set.  I never realized that by having a child you really do get to experience parts of your youth all over again.  There is a certain nostalgia, certain memories, that you forget you have until reliving something unlocks them all over again.  In the past month Josh and I have shared more stories about our childhoods- favorite vacations and things to do- than I think we ever have before and I know it's because we're out and about doing some of the same things that we did when we were kids.  Plus, seeing the joy on our child's face as he slides down a slide, runs through the hose, chases bubbles, or sticks his hands into a sandbox makes my heart swell.  It is these sweet moments that I will always treasure about my fourteen-month old boy.  The world really is an incredibly amazing place through the eyes of a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment