Saturday, November 27, 2010

#1... at last!

Between the turkey coma and all-nighter I pulled for Black Friday, I am just now getting around to the final day of posting what I am thankful for. When putting this list together, I knew that my faith would be first on the list. In the past couple of years, I have grown so much in this area and continually learn what it means to be a follower of Christ. I grew up going to church, so I have always had a good foundation, but since marrying Josh and going to Crossroads I have learned what it means to have faith in action and live by the guidelines set out in the Bible. Biblical knowledge was something that was lacking in my younger years, so I have traded in a lot of my "fluffy" chick-lit type reads to get into the word and meatier reads. I still have a long way to go, but I have seen example after example of God's sovereign power in those who serve Him faithfully.

When I was in Florida this past week (which I survived by the way without Jake... barely), my sister and I stayed up late each night and had some wonderful talks. I told her that I was sure that some of my friends probably see me as a "religious nut" these days since I can't help but share my faith and challenge others to evaluate their walks to see how they could grow and become stronger in Christ. What I told her, however, is that after experiencing some incredible moments over this past year, I can't help but to share, because I know there is more. And not just more for my friends, but more for me, too. Because never once in these times that I am proclaiming the Good News do I think that I am better than them or know more than they do. I am the first to admit that I have a looooong way to go, but am amazed everyday by how far I've come. And I have witnessed miraculous things in this town as more and more people have come to Christ. I have seen with my own eyes as alcoholics and drug addicts turn away from their demons and find new life in Christ, men are released from prison and turn to Jesus over their old way of life, and a man who was paralyzed from the waist down after a snowmobile accident starts to move his legs. A boy in our town was struck by lightning earlier this year and after months of the whole town praying, he not only survived, but just returned to school. Amazing, miraculous things and it's all from God above. How can I resist not sharing?

With this being said, I am setting a goal for myself in the new year to write more frequent Christian-based posts, not just to give my readers a little bit of meat, but also to challenge myself to step it up a notch. I know it will be difficult for me as I am not great at sticking with things (hence all of the books on my nightstand that I am halfway through), but I know that God expects more out of me and I am going to honor Him and obey. I can't wait to see what He does in my life in the years to come. I have so much to be thankful for!

Oh, and as for Thanksgiving and Black Friday, both were awesome and I promise to post about it soon. But as for now, I need to go get the boy up from his nap (Jake... not Josh!) and get bundled up so we can get our Christmas tree! It's officially the most wonderful time of the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment