Thursday, October 28, 2010

Eight

It seems like just yesterday that this guy was Jake's size. I can still remember driving up to Kentucky about a week after he was born and once again being overcome with emotion on how much you can love someone you just met. Even though his brother had come along two years earlier, I was still scared to death to hold someone so tiny, but after a few visits I started to come along. He changed me from a person who wanted to spend as much time with my friends as possible into a gal who gave up a lot of her precious weekends to go be with family. And I wouldn't change that for the world.

At eight years old, this one is still a firecracker. Half the time we're not even sure if we should laugh or punish him, but it's usually a combination of both for whatever stunt that he's pulled. I can honestly say that on more than one occassion I have had to leave the room or turn away while my sister scolded him for doing something. With my son having the personality that he has already, I'm sure it won't be long before Angie gets to be on the other side of that.

I have the three best nephews in the world and I love the older ones even more now that the new babies have come along. Seeing them tell their friends that they can't come out and play because they're playing with their cousins just does wonders to my heart. When I was visiting their family earlier this month I made Kevin and Kyle promise me that they would never become "too cool" for their Aunt Kim. They looked a little puzzled and wondered why on earth they would ever feel that way, but they said that they would make sure of it. So here it is in writing, pal... in another eight years when you ditch us for your cutie girlfriend I have full permission to remind you that you promised me that you'd never do that. But for now, I will relish in every day that you are eight... because as this new mom knows, this year is going to go by fast. Make the most of it, try your best, be nice to your parents and your brother, help your mom keep the house clean, make straight A's, and continue to think that your Aunt Kim is cool... that's all I ask. We love you, dude, and can't wait to see you again soon.

Oh and PS - as always, your birthday gift will probably arrive in a few months. As much as I try to change, apparently your Great Aunt Karen passed her birthday tradition onto me.

1 comment:

  1. Good birthday post! Kyle loved it! I still can't believe he is 8! Miss you.

    ReplyDelete