Monday, December 19, 2011

Deck the Halls

Our house in Small Town, Illinois was always the best at Christmastime.  It was the perfect home for tall trees, lights on the Victorian style porch, and boughs of holly everywhere.  Cozy and perfect with two fireplaces and an incredible foyer to light up... remember?  Yes, it was the perfect holiday home.

As I decorated our small cozy living room this year, however, I realized that even though I miss that house, my heart is definitely here in this home.  And twinkle lights always make things a little lovelier, don't you think?  But the reason I love it the most can be represented by this photo right here:



FOUR stockings this year... how can one be so blessed?  And the gift we are most thankful for this year can of course be represented by the new addition to our mantle: 


My mom has given a new hand-made stocking to every new grandbaby that has come along in this family (along with three sons-in-law) so of course Miss Lilly was no exception!  We have plenty to be thankful for this year.

As for the rest of the house?  There's really not much space to decorate, but we did what we could to make it look festive:
Even the kitchen got a little festive... the bottles are always there, and I stuffed lights in them.  This might just stay this way all year!

I do the tall vase of ornaments on the mantle every year (my sister Mindy's idea) and it's always my favorite thing.


Our tree.  Sadly some of our strands of lights went out after we put it up.  Don't you just hate that?

I've started displaying our Christmas cards on our gallery wall in the dining room.  It's nice to be able to see all of those familiar faces of people we love everyday.

As for the front of the house?  We'll spare you the photo.  Let's just say that it was priority # 452 on the list of things to do this year, so yours truly "hung" the outdoor lights.  It may or may not be the saddest display of outdoor illumination I have ever seen.  Oh well, at least we have something!

Through it all, I just remind myself that this time of year is not about the lights or the decor or the gifts under the tree.  It's about spending time with loved ones, celebrating the birth of our Savior, and the feeling of hope we have for the year ahead.  Perfect holiday house or cozy rental home, I am loving this time of year and all that it means.  As long as I have those people around me who have stockings on our mantle, I am one blessed and joyful girl... Merry Christmas to me!

No comments:

Post a Comment